Thursday, June 23, 2011

Upcycled Tunic

I am kind of mad for knit sewing at the moment, having discovered that it is quite simply, not scary at all. Why did I think it would be scary? I have no idea.
Armed with this fabulous pattern from Lil Blue Boo I hit the local op shop and turned six old shirts into this awesome tunic!

I didn't get a picture of the shirts before I hacked them up but what I used was
FRONT: top piece is cut from a long sleeved shirt from Target (I have some of the same shirts which I layer with in winter and I find the quality to be pretty good)
bottom two pieces came from boys shirts
BACK: top piece is cut from a top from Millers (if you're not from Australia, Millers is the place to shop if you couldn't care less what you look like when you get older)
bottom pieces are from a mens shirt (green) and a womens shirt from Colorado (the store, not the US state)
Again, I got all of them from the op shop.
The only 'new' parts of this tunic are the ribbing which is used around the neck and armholes.
I really love it, it's super comfy, can't wait to wear it in summer.
I used the small pattern size though, and will use the medium next time.

For my next project I remembered just in the nick of time to take a 'before' picture. Actually, as you can see, I had just chopped the arm off this jersey when I thought to take my 'before' shot, lol.


I got this jersey at the same time, same shop that I got all the shirts for the tunic.
It's a boys rugby jersey, I'd say about a size 10, and I've got a size 2 dress out of it.
The jersey is pretty old and I love the worn out look of the '17'
Not quite finished, as you can see, but I'm pretty happy with it, I think it's pretty cute.
The jersey wasn't quite big enough on it's own so I just attacked another shirt and patchworked them together.
I don't have an overlocker (serger) and found my trusty old sewing machine did just fine, all it needed was a ball needle, that's it. Of course it would be much neater it you had an overlocker but it's not actually a necessity :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, these are fabulous!
It's great to know you did these without an overlocker. I always tend to shy away from knits because I don't have one either. But these are seriously fabulous!

Unknown said...

Millers - haha! There are so many Miller's garments in op shops arent there? I really like these!

Tricia said...

Love the tunic!! I'm looking for you tutorial so I can make this today... do you have "how to" section? My first time discovering your site - lovely!

Now if I can only make such a tunic for myself....